Connecting with New Wilmington College Students & Families
Wilmington College New Student Orientation and the Activities Programming Board College Buy Local Team would like to cordially invite you to “O-town” to be held on Thursday, August 20, 2015. This event will take place on Collet Mall from 10am-2pm under the large tents. Participants are invited to reach out and engage students in three ways:
- Each new student is given a Wilmington College sling pack bag full of helpful items, samples, coupons and information.
- These packs have been a great way to introduce local businesses and organizations to the new student population.
- Past participants have donated flyers, coupons, pencils, magnets, candy, etc. to be placed in welcome packs.
- This is an easy way of assuring that every new student will see your marketing materials and have them in hand.
- 500 coupons or flyers are needed by Friday, August 8th to participate.
This event is held on the campus of Wilmington College on Thursday, August 20th from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM.
Businesses will be given table space and the event takes place under a tent.
New students and families become familiar with all of the services that Wilmington has to offer.
Local businesses, banks, churches, and restaurants participate.
Many businesses choose to offer an incentive to new students such as coupons, trinkets (key chains, pens, etc.), or a small treat (dessert, candy, etc.) or even taste test menu items.
Businesses are asked to have personnel at their table during the entire event.
The theme of this year’s O-Town is yet to be determined so check back later to find out. We welcome all participants to decorate their tables, giveaways, games and activities, and marketing materials accordingly. Participants are invited to set up beginning at 8:30 AM and should be open and ready to meet students by 10:00 am.
Every year, local businesses and organizations gather on the Wilmington College campus to introduce themselves to the incoming freshman class, transfer students and families on move-in day. During O-Town, businesses and organizations can distribute informational flyers and coupons, host fun activities, or even sell college-appropriate merchandise. O-Town occurs directly after residence hall move-in and is also open to family members, so parents will be accompanying many of the students.
This year we are strongly encouraging the students to buy, eat, play, worship, and live locally in Clinton County! O-Town is the perfect chance make a good first (and hopefully lasting) impression on the incoming students and their family members, who could become loyal customers to and participants of your local business/organization.
- This year, MSW will host a party welcoming the new students to town.
- We will host approximately 300 students.
- Students will receive a map of downtown noting the business which are participating.
- MSW is requesting that businesses that wish to participate to be open from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm. We are also requesting that a small incentive be offered to the students for their next visit to your businesses.
- For example, bring this coupon in for 15% of your next purchase.
- Past participants have given tours of their establishment, offered discounts for purchases made during the event or even set up corn-hole and snacks for the students. It’s up to you on how you want to make a welcoming and lasting impression.
- This is in hopes to encourage repeat visits to our Downtown.
- Saturday, August 23rd.
- Questions specifically regarding the Downtown Welcome Party may be directed to:
- Angela Mitchell, 937-382-6661 x211, email@example.com
Please feel free to contact us at 937-382-6661, ext. 261 if you have any questions or would like further details about the orientation events. We look forward to working with your business/organization.
Ashley Johnson, Student Director
Abby Simmons, Assistant Student Director