Media Center (Watson Library)
Including Audio-Visual Collections & Services and The Curriculum Lab audio-visual resources.
Ext. 350 (or ext. 348)
- Media Center Open Service Hours
- Audio Visual Collections
- Audio Visual Services
- Curriculum Lab
Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Saturdays.
Sunday evening 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Media Center, Ext. 350
Wilmington College main number: (937 ) 382-6661 or 1-800-341-9318
Library main number: ext. 345
Fax: (937) 383-8571
S. Arthur Watson Library
Pyle Center Box 1227
251 Ludovic Street
Wilmington, Ohio 45177
WHAT WATSON LIBRARY OWNS:
The collection contains video tapes, DVDs, compact discs, CD-ROMs, and audio cassettes. Some items are "Reference" (WC faculty use or in-house viewing), and some are "Circulating". Reference items are available for checkout ONLY by WC faculty and staff. (Others must use these materials in the library). Reference items are denoted by "library use only" in the OPAL status window, and also by a sticker on the item labeled "reference". Circulating items are denoted as "available" in the OPAL status window. Watson Library also provides access to more than 2,000 downloadable instructional videos (MS Word .doc link) through the OhioLINK Digital Media Center project (CDs for RealPlayer on your computer).
HOW TO REQUEST MEDIA ITEMS
- We accept course syllabi from faculty members to facilitate holding and scheduling media resource titles. We encourage early requests. Please reserve items as early as you are able.
- It is the borrower's responsibility to check on availability of items, and to pick up and check out materials in a timely fashion.
- We cannot disclose who has items checked out.
- Items not held by Watson Library may be available for loan from other OPAL or OhioLINK libraries. Search results can be limited to selected media formats.
VIDEOS HELD BY WATSON LIBRARY CAN BE IDENTIFIED QUICKLY BY USING THE OPAL CATALOG: http://cat.opal-libraries.org
- Keyword search: one or more keywords or key phrases separated by the word AND
- Specify / Limit the search to VIDEO RECORDINGS – all, DVD, or VHS.
- Video titles with Wilmington AV locations and call numbers are located in the Media Center.
- AVREF location means that only Wilmington faculty may borrow these titles. WC students may view these videos in Watson Library in the Student Lounge, Upper Level, or Media Center. Faculty may place any WC videos or personal videos or other items on RESERVE and specify the length of loan period.
- Search the OPAL or OhioLINK catalogs and LIMIT search results to “video recordings.”
- If the status of a copy of the video is “available,” you may “request” a loan. The video will be delivered in 3 or 4 days. You may track your requests and loans online under “My Account” in the OPAL catalog. Check with a librarian or Public Services if your request is not delivered within a week.
- Through OhioLINK, we have copyright access to a very large collection of online videos available in RealPlayer streaming video format.
- Search the OPAL or OhioLINK catalog and include “electronic resource” as one of your search phrases. LIMIT search results to “video recordings.” OR - You may search the OhioLINK Digital Media Center site or the OhioLINK Video Quick Search box.
- When you see “Download Video” as a link in the description of a specific video, RIGHT CLICK and SAVE TARGET AS to control the location (drive and file name) where the video will be saved.
- These streaming videos are played from your “Z” drive or jump/travel drive on a computer using RealPlayer. You can project the videos in the classroom. If you note the minutes/seconds of important scenes, you can slide right to them.
The Manager of the Media Center, assisted by a capable team of Wilmington College students, provides the following services:
- Provide multimedia learning/study stations for in-house resource use.
- Consult with students, faculty, and staff concerning presentation technology
- Provide space and equipment for presentation development that integrates intellectual content and images in a variety of media.
- House and shelve media resource collections.
- Facilitate recommendations for additions to the media resource collections.
- Facilitate in-house curriculum-based campus television broadcasts.
- Videotape in-house events and presentations for review and reference.
- Duplication of locally produced videotapes and audiotapes, with copyright permission
- Train users and facilitate use of "smart" multimedia presentation equipment; trouble-shooting; lamp replacement; facilitating of repairs.
- Multi-media Carts: Scheduling, Tracking, Delivery to Classroom, Setup, Removal from Classroom, & Minor Maintenance.
- Field questions related to the multi-media related Laptop Computers, Media Center, x350.
Equipment Availabe for In-house Library Use by All Patrons:
- Television/VCR Combo for viewing DVDs and VHS tapes
- Compact Disc / Audio-Cassette Combo
- Multi-Media Projection Carts
- Multi-Media Projection Cases
Equipment Available For Checkout by WC Faculty & Staff Only:
Please note that most academic classrooms already have mounted televisions, VCRs, and overhead projectors. Many classrooms are equipped for multi-media presentations. Portable multimedia carts can be reserved for other classrooms.
- Only faculty and staff may request equipment. Make the request directly, please. (Too much can get lost in translation if you delegate).
- Please call extension 350 or 458 during department hours only, please. We cannot be responsible for voice-mail or e-mail requests.
- A minimum of 48 hours (2 work days) notice is essential to ensure availability and delivery. Book early. Equipment is available on a first come, first served basis.
Due to limited resources and tight scheduling, requests that do not meet these three criteria may be denied. Please report any equipment malfunctions accurately (x350).
VHS Camcorder Usage Procedures
We have one VHS Camcorder available for faculty and staff use only. It uses full-size VHS tapes. It is restricted to academic use only. The loan period is limited. Student use is very limited, and is restricted to instances of special faculty permission only. The most common use of this equipment is for student teachers to record their classroom presentations.
For Faculty/Staff: How to Request Videotaping of Campus Events and Lectures
- Only faculty and staff may request video taping. Make the request directly, please.
(Too much can get lost in translation if you delegate).
- The person making the request is legally responsible
to secure copyright permission to tape the event.
- Please call extension 350 or 458 during department hours only, please.
We cannot be responsible for voice-mail or e-mail requests.
- A minimum of 72 hours notice is essential to ensure availability.
Book early. Equipment is available on a first come, first served basis.
- Blank tapes must be provided for taping not destined for the library collection.
Due to limited resources and tight scheduling, requests that do not meet
these five criteria may be denied.
Duplication Services for Academic Support
Audiotapes: Please supply your own blank tape
Videotapes: Please supply your own blank tape or DVD
Only academically oriented, college related materials may be duplicated. No personal items, please.
- Only faculty and staff may request duplication. Make the request directly, please.
(Too much can get lost in translation if you delegate).
- Please call extension 350 or 458 during department hours only, please. We cannot be responsible for voice-mail requests.
- Duplication is available on a first come, first served basis, and is performed by the Media Center as time permits. No self-service!
- Any requests deemed excessive may be reduced in quantity.
- Any materials deemed offensive will be denied.
- Any duplication that would violate U.S. Copyright Law will be denied.
- You must provide all blank media.
Ext. 350 & 458
Laminating service is limited to the Wilmington College community only. This service is provided on a first come, first served basis, and is performed by the Media Center staff. No self-service! Please call in advance to let us know your needs or to make an appointment. Be prepared to wait overnight for your job to be completed. Any requests deemed excessive may be reduced in quantity. Your departmental account may be charged 50 cents per running foot for extenseive projects. Students are charged 50 cents per running foot for laminating. Education majors use the the laminating service to reinforce locally-created games, puzzles, and presentations.